Sunday, August 25, 2013

Week One and Shitennoji Temple

I finished my first week of work at my new job.  When Friday came it was nice.  I had worked seven days in a row again as a result of going from my old job to this one and the days of the week I work.  I'm getting the hang of my new job pretty quickly.  I didn't really have a proper week of training so I am still forgetting small things like moving around desks and chairs at certain times so when my class goes into another room and someone else uses my room it is set up for them.  Every day I feedback from someone on how to improve my lessons and to make sure I include everything needed.  All of the feedback has been constructive and everyone has been really nice since I started so it's been easy to adjust, but I still hope that I figure everything out as soon as possible.  Other than working out lessons I am responsible for reviews of the students each month.  The only problem is that I've only had one complete week with them so how can you really base someone's strength's and weaknesses off of such a short time?  Not every class is taught each day either so some I have even less of an idea of.  Again, though, I have been given help with this task so it's less of a burden.  The kids all seems to like me and so far I've done a good job of keeping them entertained while ensuring that they are safe and learn.  Sometimes it seems like what worked one day to keep their attention doesn't work the next day.

Yesterday I ended up waking up early enough to go out to a temple.  I made my way down to Shitennoji Temple in Tennoji, a place where I've wanted to go for a while.  Right when I got out of the subway I noticed that it seemed to be a lot more open.  Most of the buildings aren't as high although every once in a while there are tall buildings.  One intersection seemed to be very wide and it seemed like I could see for miles.  After walking south a bit I looked to my left and it really opened up!  I could see a cemetery and a large temple.  I was not expecting to see that.  Most of the pictures of the area only show the pagoda and the temple and nothing else around it.  There weren't very many people but there were people working cleaning the courtyard area so it wasn't very peaceful.  In a way it ruined the visit.  I spent maybe an hour and a half walking around going everywhere I could.  I didn't get to see everything, though, so I was disappointed.  Most of it closes at 4:30, but the internet made it sound like the only part that closed was where the pagoda and temple are.  I was planning on going to Tennoji Park and walking around but as I was leaving the temple the sky started to get dark and it started to rain.  At least the rain brought cooler temperatures.


No comments:

Post a Comment